Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Cold Weather Runner!

Since I enjoyed my training plan from AMR, I signed up for a spring half challenge through them with my sights set on the Kingston Classic.  I started my training on January 25, which for those of you who may not be aware is winter here in the Hudson Valley.

Looking back, sometimes I don't even know how I did it.  We were blessed with a relatively mild winter and I invested in some good cold weather gear.  There is only one run where I had to bundle up with multiple layers, hat, neck gaiter and balaclava.  And it was one of my favorite runs of the winter.  Once upon a time I thought I was a warm weather runner, but the more I do it, the more I realize I prefer cooler temps for my running.  Also, winter running allowed me to justify purchasing a Yeti from Oiselle which is perfect for warming up after long, cold runs!

I followed my training plan, I used the treadmill when I had to and Greg was super supportive doing child wrangling while I went out for my runs.  I did get up a few mornings super early to get a run in, with all my gear.  Our neighborhood is great for running in the sense that there is not any through traffic, it's one road in and the same road out.  I light myself up like a Christmas tree with a headlamp, knuckle lights and off I go.  Some runs were later at night, after bedtime.  Same technique - ALL THE LIGHTS.

I discovered I love running in the snow, provided I am prepared for it.  It took me a while to figure out how to dress appropriately and not get overheated.  I am so grateful that we had a mild winter and that I was able to do most of my training outside.

I was really hoping the weather would hold going into April.  You never know with that crazy month.  Freak snow storms when it should be spring, torrential rains, anything goes!  My goal race was set for April 24 and it was fast approaching...was I ready?




No comments:

Post a Comment