Monday, July 25, 2016

It Isn’t Easy

Yesterday’s long run called for 3 hours, or 16 miles whatever came first.  Let me tell you, it was not 16 miles.  It was almost 12.

I woke up at 6 but did not manage to get myself out of the house until closer to 7.  I was having a hard time motivating myself.  I did not want to go, I don’t know why. I usually enjoy my runs but this one I was dreading.  I posted on my HRT FB Group and some of the other ladies rallied to help me get out the door.

It was nice and cool, still in the 60s.  I had prepped my hydration pack the night before, filled it most of the way and then threw some ice cubes in.  Out the door I went.

I tried to settle in to my miles and put the thoughts out of my head.  “Why am I doing this?  Maybe the marathon was a mistake. These runs are so long, I’m away from my husband and kiddo. It’s only going to get harder.  This is miserable. I am hot.  I am tired.  I want to quit.”

Eventually I was able to put that out of my head and move.  The first hour flew by pretty quickly.  I bargained with myself that instead of going out for an hour and a half, I’d go out for an hour and fifteen, and then run inIMG_4468 the opposite direction at the start of the trail to make up the difference.

When I struggle on a run, I make a point to look around and appreciate where I am and what I’m doing.

The trail I run on is nothing particularly remarkable, but being outside is a gift.  Having a place to run is a gift.  Being able to run is a gift. I don’t ever want to forget that.

I finished out my run and spent the rest of the day palling around with my hubby and kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment