Sunday, July 31, 2016

Questioning Myself

 

There is no denying that this week has been a challenging one for me.  Monday was the first day of my cycle, which generally throws off my mood, motivation and eating habits.  I postponed Monday’s run to Thursday and that would never happen anyway.

I managed to get Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday in with not too much trouble. But my LR was scheduled for Saturday and good gravy I did not want to do it.  I should note that I have not slept well this week, and I have also stayed up too late. I stayed up way too late Friday night watching Madam Secretary.  I love that show!

Saturday I got up with my kiddo and lounged around.  I was hungry and I ate and had my coffee which I generally do not do before a run.  That was the beginning of the end.  It was hot, I was tired and it just was not happening.  After many frustrating conversations with myself, Greg tried to pep talk me out the door.  No dice.  I settled on skipping it and promising I would do it Sunday.

Some of those conversations were focused on “Why am I doing any of this? It’s hard.  I’m tired.  It’s taking so much of my time. I could be sleeping. I could be putting less pressure on myself. What’s the point anyway?”  I reached out to our FB group for a pep talk and got what I needed.  What a fine bunch of ladies I have out there!  So, I would run Sunday…

That was a mistake. Isn’t it always?  I woke up Sunday after another terrible night’s sleep; I wound up in the kiddo’s room for most of it and his mattress is…firm.  And it was raining. Hard.  Which meant no outdoor run for me.  Usually the rain is not a deterrent, but for 2 hours and 24 minutes, this steady rain was enough to keep me on the treadmill.  My training plan has given us maximum and minimum run times for our long runs.  Today’s minimum was 75 minutes. 

That was all I did.  And you know what?  I am okay with it. I got what I needed, I got myself moving and I am committed to this plan.  I will get my runs in while I am on vacation, and I will be ready for this marathon in October.  Hartford, I’m coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment