Friday, September 2, 2016

Running Into Fall

Whoops.  I fell off the blog for a bit.  Summer is busy.  BUSY y'all.  But I have been running!

I did take a week off for my LASIK procedure.  Here comes my public service announcement.  If you are considering this - do it.  I was bummed to be sidelined for a week but it is hands down, one of the best decisions I ever made.

The procedure is wacky, I won't lie.  And I was more nervous than I thought I would be; I gave myself permission to pull my parachute at any time until I was laying on the table.  They gave me a Xanax before hand and I sat for a few minutes waiting for it to kick in (wish they'd given me 2..).  It took less than 15 minutes for both eyes!  I sat in recovery for another 15 minutes and then I was headed home with my super sexy sunglasses.  I was pretty uncomfortable that afternoon and evening; watery eyes, tired and so I went to bed around 7.  I woke up the next morning and was seeing perfectly clearly.  My vision was 20/15 at the follow up that next day!  I had a regimen of eye drops I had to keep up, and no water in my eyes etc. for a week or so but that was it.  WOW! I haven't seen distance without glasses or contacts since I was 12.  It is amazing!! And totally worth the week off of training.  Because now when I run, I can see!

I was nervous about my first run back, how would it be?  I know I didn't lose fitness in just a week but I was still nervous.  Do other people find they get nervous after time off or is it just me?  My first run was an easy one, and it felt great!  It was on the treadmill because of the weather.  My long run a few days later was not as great but that was largely because of lack of sleep.  I got it done, and am proud of that.  And so amazed that I can see so clearly!  My runs over the summer had been largely blurry because I wasn't wearing my contacts at all so it is a huge difference.

This week coming up is the first week of school here which is notoriously nutty for me in my world.  I am determined to keep up my routine - even if it means some 4:30am wakeups.  I find that I am much more likely to get my runs in first thing in the morning, but it also means I need to be diligent about bedtime.  Now if only the toddler would cooperate!

Also - I am dedicating my miles for the fall to fundraising for Every Mother Counts.  It is an organization that is near and dear to my heart.  One of my other passions is maternal health and empowerment.  Childbirth is one of the leading causes of death of women world wide. Many women do not have easy access to pre and post natal care.  An investment in our mothers and babies is an investment in our own future.  

Here's a link to my fundraiser:  Every Mother Counts

No comments:

Post a Comment