Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Still here!



I'd almost forgotten about this little blog o'mine!  It's hard to find the time to get all of the things done, and this fell by the wayside.  That said, it was nice to re-read some of my older entries and I am going to make more of a concerted effort to post on a more regular basis.

When I wrote last, I was struggling post-marathon.  I continued to struggle.  I managed to get enough runs in where I felt like I could handle Philly without totally killing myself.  Philly was so much fun!! I was a little nervous travelling by myself to meet women I'd never met in real life, but off I went!  Everyone was so wonderful.  We had a great time.  My roommates were wonderful.  Beth, Carla and Ava were funny, kind and easy to talk to.  We chatted a bit, grabbed some dinner and then made posters with Dimity and MK - I felt a little star struck I think! And headed back to the hotel for an early bedtime.  The next morning was a quick shakeout run before we all went to the start.  Dimity led us through our Silly Toes and we jogged to the start.

Look at all these smiling mother runners!


 I hoped I'd be able to run well.  I planned to stick with some ladies as long as possible and see what happened.  I tried not to put much pressure on myself (easier said than done!).  I ran with the pack for quite a while - Dimity and I had a nice chat for a bit and she encouraged me at the point I started to flag.  She even took my arm warmers for me and was super encouraging. I wanted to quit.  I didn't feel great (looking back I was under fueled) and she kept me going.  Eventually I pulled away, and felt great for a bit only to hit the wall again.

At this point I knew my hopeful goal of 2:15 wasn't happening.  It was also a bit warmer than I expected which likely didn't help.  Anyway - it wound up being my slowest half time, I cramped up at the end and hobbled through the finish line. Oh well. I still had a GREAT time!

That night one of the BAMR's Kelly hosted us in her beautiful home.  We all had a chance to relax, eat and chat with our coaches. It was a lovely lovely evening - one I will hold as a special place in my heart for a long time! I got to spend time with Sandra and Melissa from Hartford, and meet lots of new ladies!  Sunday was the marathon - I did not stay to spectate because duty calls, but those ladies CRUSHED it in really awful race conditions. Drastically different from our race- it was cold, and SUPER windy.  Kudos to all those finishers!

I am so grateful to have found this BAMR crowd - the support and knowledge is tremendous.  I am so grateful to Dimity and Sarah for what they've built and continue to build for the mother runner crowd.




No comments:

Post a Comment