Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Taper Begins!


Two weeks to my race! Taper has officially begun. This week's workouts aren't drastically different from the others, though slightly lower mileage. Monday was a circuit run - I've been doing those on the treadmill lest my neighbors things I'm a total nutter for doing pushups in the street. I did that workout in my new Oiselle Mac Roga's and Pleat tank. LOVE their stuff. So super comfy, flattering and I'll wear anything in the Snap color!  I had to resist buying some more stuff when they extended the Nee day sale!
Fly Style head to toe!

The sky at the end of my run.

Last night was an easy 3 miles around the neighborhood. It was beautiful out - windy but also warm enough for shorts and a light top.  I went for as many DayGlo colors as possible.  My Pro Compression socks that I love and a bright pink top from Athleta I've had for a while.  I also clipped one of my blinking lights to my back.  It was light when I left the house but as you can see, it was getting dark once I was finishing up.  I ran most of the 3 with no music because the wind kept blowing my cord around and it was annoying.  I got home to discover the toddler had escaped his bed and was camped on the couch.  We've been having bedtime struggles for months now. He gets scared and leaves his bed to come into ours.  We haven't put our foot down about it because he's so genuinely upset but it is beginning to get old....this too shall pass right?

ALL the bright colors please!
I am mildly worried that all of the treadmill running I've done this training cycle are going to be problematic during my race.  More of my runs have been outside lately but my strength and confidence during those runs have been hit or miss.  Sunday's long run was shorter than planned but I pushed really hard and felt great.  I found myself frequently looking down at my watch and seeing 9:46.  My average pace was 10:26 which is outstanding.  If I can do that next weekend I'll be super pleased.  I pushed the 8th mile to a 9:54 which tells me I still had gas in the tank. If I can get my head in the game and race well my plan is to leave it all on the road. EMPTY THE TANK.

 Last night's run felt a bit more sluggish and didn't leave me feeling super confident.  I also wore new shoes last night - my new Saucony Ride 9's and I like them! Though I have to put my own insoles in - my toes started to tingle about 1.5 miles in. I may also have tied them too tight. We'll see.  I am undecided about what shoes I'll race in - these, my HOKA's or my Saucony Triumphs.  I really need to make that decision....

For me the race is so much of the mental game.  That is my weakness and I give myself permission to quit physically because my brain gets in the way.  I have been listening to the wonderful Kelly Roberts which helps tremendously.  Her chats with Dr. Bob are super insightful and so much of what she says really resonates with me.  That is going to be my test.  Can I execute my race plan the way I want?  I printed out my paces and I'll have them on my arm.  I know the course, I know that miles 7-9 are uphill but if I can get through that then the payoff is down hills! My goal is not to let myself give up. To push myself all the way through to the finish line. I KNOW I can do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment